Monday, March 23, 2009

Spring Has Sprung

This week was spring break. Even though Scott still had to work and even though we don't have a child in school to benefit from spring break we took advantage of the wonderful weather. It was in the 60's everyday. So this is our weeks adventures.

Goosenecks and Sand Island on the San Juan River

Lilly enjoyed playing with all the rocks. The goosenecks is a section of the San Juan River that turns back and forth, flowing for more than 5 miles while progressing only one linear mile toward the Coloardo River and Lake Powell. It is a 1000 ft drop to the river from the lookout point.

We couldn't get down to the river so we went to Sand Island. We thought we could get down closer to the river without going to the ramp. We found what we thought was a dry spot and in the first step I sunk into the mud up to my calf. I thought I was going to lose my shoe. Luckly, with a little bit of effort from both Scott and I we got my foot loose. So we ended up going to the ramp anyways so Lilly could play in the water, even though she wasn't too interested.

Dodge
We were invited to a cook out with the two Lewis families, the Goodwines, the Bunkers, and the Holt families. We roasted hotdogs and just enjoyed the outdoors.

The fire was big and hot so it was hard to get too close to roast the hotdogs. The men were kind enough to roast everyone's for them. They had to lay down and shield their faces from the fire. Even then Scott still looked like he had a nice sunburn.


Here are some the the kids that were there. Lilly enjoyed sucking on the hotdog more then eating it!

Paul Bunions Boot
Scott plays Basketball in the morning 3 days a week. We had a cookout with the guys he plays with. We went to a rock formation called "Paul Bunion's Boot", it is on land owned by one of the guys that plays basketball. They have a cowboy camp there. They have blasted two different holes in the rock and have put a cinder block front with a door and a stove inside. Scott took Lilly up on the rocks and now she won't stop saying, "Slick wock" (slick rock). 2 of the guys brought their guitars and we sang songs. Lance gave us a nice rendition of Lunch Lady Land.




Sand dunes and Cliff flowers

We went on a picnic with my parents, aunt, two of my cousins and their kids, and my cousins neighbors. We ate at a little sand dune and the kids had fun in the sand. It took Lilly a minute or two to get use to the sand between her toes, then she took off. After Lunch we went on the yearly March voyage to pick cliff flowers. They only bloom in March and only grow in two places, Australia and Bluff. I have been going here every March for as long as I can remember and Lilly has been there every year of her life, even when she was in the womb.

Lance Solar Site and Cottonwood
While searching for his a wounded deer during the fall deer hunt, Reed B. Lance discovered a rock with a spiral carved in it. The rock cast a shadow of a Mayan profile on the spiral. This happens twice a year on the spring and fall equinox. We took some of our friends down to see it. Since Saturday was the spring equinox. The only problem was I was the only one that had been there and it has been 10 years since then. I was able to find the general area of were it was but I wasn't exactly sure were the spiral was. There was a couple there that pointed out a couple of spirals and we waited for the shadow to form. Only were they pointed didn't seem like the right place. We waited an hour for the shadow to cast the Mayan profile, it didn't happen, then as we were leaving I found the right spiral but it was too late.
This is what we went to see but missed.

After that we went to cottonwood wash were there was water for the kids to play in. We ate lunch and enjoyed the sun. Did I ever say Lilly loves to dip things? Mostly in ranch but she loves my mom's onion dip with chips.

It was a great week. We are thankful for the spring time and the warm weather we had. It didn't last long because this morning there was a skiff of snow on the ground, and a very cold wind. Don't you just love Spring weather.

10 comments:

TravisandTaryn Barrett said...

Oh my gosh girl, you don't look like you're going to have a baby any time soon. You are to small still. I guess maybe I just get huge when I'm prego. Oh how I wish we lived in a small town to do fun things without driving to far. Maybe some day. Hope things are going well and I'll try to find you when I'm down that way again. Good luck with the baby:)

mkchilds said...

So fun to look at all the pictures!! Looks like you guys have tons of fun! Oh and I have to agree with the other commenter...you dont look like you are going to have a baby so soon! You look great!! Cant wait to see you guys at the camp out!!

Ben and Sarah said...

San Juan Counnty is the best place on earth. Cant wait to get there this summer.

Caytee said...

Oh my goodness...that girl of yours is adorable! I miss you so much. Just looking at your pictures reminds me of all the fun times we all had in Cedar. Those were the days! Hope all is well!

PML said...

Boy what a party! I feel like a loser because we have had beautiful weather and we've...been to the park...once. I guess that is what happens when you live a ways from the "mountains", if you want to count them as that anyway.

So where is your Baby Name Poll? Come on, you've got to join the crowd and let everyone else vote on what you should name the baby!

SheriDawn said...

You look so cute!! I got my leg stuck in snow up to my thigh when I was pregnant...Josh laughed really hard at me before helping me out.

mags said...

oh you are torturing me. i'm going to flush my head down the toilet and drown my sorrows.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome time ya'll have been having!! & P.S. It's about time we actually got to see picture of YOU!!! Lilly is so dang adorable!!! You look great too & I'm so excited that your little one should be here any day now!!! YEA!!!! You look like you're about ready to POP!!! Hope everything goes smoothly!!!

Anonymous said...

Haley, I can't wait for Lilly to be a big sister. Please keep us posted and I hope you know you are always in our thoughts and prayers. We miss you and hope we can get together sometime soon.
Love Donny and Cyndi

cbo said...

Granpa wants an invitation to view your blog. jacob_p_burton at msn dot com